A good buyer’s agent can ease your way to home ownership—and a bad one can result in a bumpy ride.
You should not just take the first buyer’s agent you meet (as 2/3 of home buyers do). Instead, ask your friends for recommendations and interview at the agents and ask them a few questions, including the following:
- What neighborhoods do you specialize in? Real estate requires local expertise, so you should find an agent who’s extremely familiar with the areas you’re interested in.
- What’s your schedule and availability? Part-time real estate agents who are committed can do a fine job, but if the house of your dreams pops up or you encounter last-minute closing snafus, you want an agent who will be readily reachable.
- How long have you been a real estate agent? You ideally want someone with a couple of years of experience, and a proven track record of selling homes.
- What percentage of your clients are buyers vs. sellers? You want someone that understands a seller’s perspective while negotiating for you.
- Do you have references? Ask for client testimonials, be worried if the agent can’t offer a handful of reviews.
- Do I have to work with the lender, inspector, or other service providers you recommend? Good brokers should have solid recommendations for lenders, inspectors, or other service providers, but you should never feel pressured to use them.
- What makes you different from other buyer’s agents? It’s how they answer this questions that truly sets them apart. If you are a first time home buyer and the agent works primarily with savvy investors, then they might not be the best fit for you.
- What is your approach to winning a bidding war? This is important if you’re buying in Seattle Metro area. A great buyer’s agent understands what it takes to win in bidding war (not just money). I see often Buyers at a disadvantage because their agent didn’t know the basic of winning a bidding wars.
If you are looking for a Buyer’s Agent in Seattle Metro area, we’d love to be of help. Get in touch to see if one of us is the right agent for you.