Skip to content
Ready to sell your home? Don’t just list it without any advance preparation. A few minor touch-ups can go a long way. Your real estate can advise you on how prepare your house for the sale.
- Clean – clean, clean, clean. Hire a professional cleaner and deep clean the house, including all appliances, dusting, windows, doors, carpets, bathrooms, etc. Make every surface shine, from ceiling fans to floors and everything in between, clean your home until it sparkles.
- Odors– try to remove all bad smells from the house: from smoking, pets, food, etc. Don’t cook bacon in your home during the day of showings.
- Clutter – clear out the clutter from the house and closets. Your real estate agent can advise you on de-clattering and staging the home. You want the buyers to focus on how awesome your house is, not how messy it looks.
- Improvements – if you can’t remove the old stains from the carpet and wipe the oily stains from the walls, then installing new carpets and a fresh coat of paint will go a long way.
- Paint– You might like your lime-green bedroom, but it may sour buyers. Paint your walls a neutral color that will appeal to a wide range of buyers.
- Decor – keep the decor simple, get rid of the art and decor that might turn the people off.
- Personal items – get rid of personal items, such as family pictures and kids artwork.
- Flowers – add some color! Bring some fresh potted flowers inside the house. Plant some blooming flowers in pots and place them at the front entrance and patio/deck.
- Repairs – repair everything that you know if broken. A leaky faucet will make the buyers think that you didn’t take care of the home and they detract from the value of your home.
- Front door – make the front door inviting. While the agent is opening the key-box, buyers look around. A fresh coat of paint with a color that contrasts your home will make your front door stand out. Replace faded house numbers.
- Curb Appeal – boost your curb appeal, many buyers will drive by before calling their agent to show the home, more than one buyer has decided not to even enter a home based on the curb appeal.
If you would like a complementary 30-min in house consultation on how to prepare your home for sale, please give us a call.